Friday, June 4, 2010

6/4/2010 The Poisonwood Bible

Here is my review of "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver which I also posted on Goodreads. If you're on Goodreads please "friend" me so I can see what you're reading! I love getting suggestions of new books to read that way. Anyway, her it is:

My overall opinion of this book is that it ranks right up there with The Grapes of Wrath. Kingsolver is not only an amazing storyteller but her ability to tell the story from 5 different perspectives and personalities is frankly awing. Reading the first third of the book depressed me and although I was amazed with the author's writing ability, I did not really enjoy reading it. At first I had little patience with the characters but I slowly got pulled in more and more and couldn't put it down. I had to see what would happen next. I especially wanted to read what Adah would say and how she would react to situations. I really liked how Kingsolver was able to show the congruency of the family's journey and the Congo's journey.

Random thoughts on the book:

I thought Rachel was a little 2 dimensional. Is anyone really like that? Maybe I just can't relate with her.

It is a very serious book. My comparison to The #1 Ladies' Detective Agency which also deals with an African nation - I like the Detective Agency books because although they have serious themes, they also include lighthearted ones and in the end are feel-good books. Although by the end of this book I was happy with the outcomes of the characters and felt that everything was "complete" it still felt very heavy. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Just different. Kingsolver makes you think and ponder and her intentions are very different from the Detective Agency books.

I really enjoyed learning more about Congo. I am very ignorant of Africa's geography as well as it's political and economic situations other than the snippets I read in the newspaper. I always especially love learning about the people. One of my favorite parts was when one of the daughters realizes that the Congolese never feel sorry for themselves. They have to either work or starve. Even if they are disfigured, they take it as a part of life. Such a difference from America where we hold pity parties for ourselves and are quite able to stay in bed all day and be depressed if we want to. We have food in the fridge and a Walmart down the street and if we want to mope we can! I also liked how Kingsolver teaches that the Congolese are polite and have great kindness. The realization towards the end that the village leader Tata Ndu was in reality showing great restraint and politeness when he offered to take Rachel as a wife is a great example.

Reading about the father's tyrannical rules and his tyrannical God is very disheartening. Makes me wonder if there are people who really have his concept of a God. It was amazing to see a man devoted to God yet who really was not able to internalize Christ's atonement. I almost think that if I grew up believing in a God like that, I would do as Adah did and not believe. I am so grateful to have the understanding that little children are saved and do not require baptism if they die. I am also thankful for the understanding that all people will be given the chance to hear the gospel of Christ and that just because people die without hearing of it does not mean they will burn in hell.

Another depressing part of the book was reading about the United States' involvement with Congo's independence. I became so upset and had a very unpatriotic day when I read that part. Then I realized that it was not the "United States" that was bad, but a few choice politicians. It was a good reminder of our responsibility to choose good leaders and make as much of an effort in our government as we can.

After finishing this book I am inspired to read more about the Congo and its history. I especially would like to learn more about the diamond trade and business.

1 comment:

  1. I like poisonwood, but I didn't love it. My sister loved it, but it was hard for me to get past Kingsolver screaming her agenda to only respect other cultures and people. Although I agree with her idea in many ways, I also think that there is time and place for missionary work and a degrading of the traditions of the fathers. It seemed really anti-religious to me. And the characters were either really good or really bad, and few in between, which seemed unrealistic. I did love the sister who walked with a limp, and her whole story. Anyway, thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete