Friday, September 23, 2011

Pinterest and Halloween

With Cody and Eva off at a daddy/daughter campout, Wesley decided it was time to do some crafts. I thought this would be a good idea as he wouldn't have the opportunity to turn into Mr. Destructo if we spent the day crafting. And as I had just registered with Pinterest the day before, I knew that was the place to get some crafty ideas. However, seeing as how we do not keep an abundance of craft supplies on hand, our only car was camping somewhere in the woods, and I don't have the patience for fru fru crafts anyway, our choices were limited to something that could be done with what we had on hand. Our first project was toilet paper pumpkins.
We placed the toilet paper roll on a sheet of fabric approximately 18 in. square (this is where saving fabric scraps, old clothes, sheets, and cloth napkins comes in handy). Wrap it up and stuff the excess down the top. Roll up a paper lunch bag, glue the end, and put it in the top of the pumpkin. Then I wrapped green fabric around some cardstock and glued it all together for some leaves. Felt would be easier and look good but I didn't have any. At first I tried to cut out a real pumpkin leaf shape but that was too difficult. The apple looking leaves are still cute and much easier to make. Next, Wesley wanted to do something with frankenstein. We had some green fabric so I suggested we do a toilet paper frankenstein.
We rolled the toilet paper in some green fabric and hot glued the back seam. Then tuck the extra into the holes. I couldn't find any black fabric or felt so I used an old black sock (really dear, you hardly wore that pair anyway!) and just pulled it over the top for his hair. I think it looks great. Tuck the extra in the top and then use an ultra fine sharpie to create the face. I think this guy is my favorite of the day. Ghosts were next on the list.
Canning jars and milk jugs rounded out our ghost families. We used glue dots to make construction paper faces on the jars and Wesley experimented with sharpies and paint on the milk jugs. He's so proud of his creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment