Monday, August 2, 2010

8/2/2010 Fiction

I haven't started any new novels lately because I've been mulling over two of the books I've recently read: "David Copperfield" and "The Poisonwood Bible." Why was I left feeling let down after "The Poisonwood Bible" and yet felt fully satisfied after "David Copperfield?" While I believe Kingsolver is brilliant in her diction and word usage, there was something missing for me that I couldn't put my finger on. After pondering this for a couple weeks I think I figured it out.

I remember reading somewhere that all great fiction contains elements of the creation, fall, and redemption (if you know where this came from, do tell!). The girls in "The Poisonwood Bible" certainly went through the creation and the fall, but then they were left stagnant. They didn't come through their trials and tribulations any better than when they started. They were not able to make something good out of their difficult life. There was no learning curve and therefore no redemption. And that is what was left lacking. On the other hand, David not only overcomes his hardships, he learns about himself and becomes a better person. Maybe it's ridiculous for me to compare my life to a piece of fiction, but after prevailing over difficulties in my own life, I have no patience for characters that cannot bring about a change in their lives.

And I can now put this matter to rest in my brain and take this knowledge with me as I start a new novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment