Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Scripture Study

How do you study the scriptures? My own daily scripture study has evolved over the years from reading a chapter a day to reading fewer verses with greater pondering to studying the weekly Sunday School lesson with a journal nearby. After attending Education Week this year though, something clicked for me and I've been able to see the scriptures in a new light. I've been able to see the lessons the Lord has for me in a few simple verses.

I've pondered John chapter 5 verses 2-9 this week because I've been thinking about this awe-inspiring work by Carl Bloch that I was able to see at the BYU Museum of Art.



Verse 3 explains that there is a great multitude of impotent folk waiting for the moving of the water. However, Christ singled out one invalid to heal. Similarly, although He is the Redeemer for the whole world, He is still my personal Savior and is here for me individually in my time of need.

The next thing that jumped out to me was the invalid's reply to Jesus's question "Wilt thou not be made whole?" He answers "I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me." He could not heal himself. He needed a Savior. I am an invalid. I am absolutely helpless to heal myself. I need a Savior to heal my sorrows, to comfort me, to take away my sins, and to redeem me from death.

I also noticed that this "great multitude" was waiting at the pool for a superstitious angel to come and trouble the waters when they could have been looking for Christ. What "pools" do I have in my life? A cupcake to cheer me up when I have a bad day. An opportunity to get out of the house when I feel smothered by my household duties. A good book to escape the hardships of life. Don't I really just need time to remember He who has already carried the cross?

Finally, what I love about the painting by Carl Bloch is that it shows Christ lifting us from darkness to light. There is no other way to eternal life, except through Jesus Christ who has given us all.

"Rise, take up thy bed, and walk."

No comments:

Post a Comment